Unfortunately, arthritis is one of the conditions pets are most susceptible to as they grow older. There is no cure for arthritis, but with early diagnosis and proper care, your pet can still maintain an excellent quality of life with the condition. For more on how we can help your pet with their arthritis, please call us at 250-248-0008.
What are the signs of arthritis in dogs and cats?
Many of the symptoms of this condition are related to changes in behaviour. Please don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian if you notice any of the following:
- Swollen joints
- Wincing when getting up, lying down, going up and down stairs
- Muscle atrophy
- Excessive licking of their joints
How is arthritis treated in pets?
This will depend on your pet’s specific case. After consultation, the doctor may recommend one or a combination of the following:
- Rehabilitation (massage, hydrotherapy, etc.)
- Laser therapy
- Lifestyle and diet changes
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Pain medications (for advanced cases)